If you have cruised before you will know that being on-deck can be deceptive. The ocean breeze can make you feel cool and disguise the sensation of burning. But we want to enjoy the sun, for us it’s a highlight of any trip.
With this in mind we have a few hints and tips to protect yours and your children’s skin from the sun when cruising to allow you to enjoy the sun and get the best out of your cruise.
Stick to shaded areas when outside in the sun with children. Cruise lines recognise this and ensure many of their water parks are in the shade. However if you choose to spend time around a main pool find a shaded area.
Hats are essential but ensure they are snug fitting, if its windy on deck hats do have a habit of taking off. With this in mind always take a spare hat when cruising with kids.
When choosing sunglasses make sure they meet the British Standard (BSEN 1836:2005) and carry the CE mark to prevent sun damage to the eyes.
We are all looking for the perfect and safest sunscreen for kids aren’t we? And with so many sun skin care brands available getting the right SPF protection is key.
Choose a sun care brand that offers children’s sun-care products, these are designed specifically for delicate skin.
Search reviews to find recommended sunscreen for babies, kids and toddlers. I swear by Bioderma Photoderm kid. Joe often gets allergic reactions to sun cream but I have found we can use this on him safe in the knowledge it will not react with his skin. And ensure the sun care brand has a good safety record and is a good quality product.
The minimum recommended factor is 15 but the higher the better, factor 50 gives far better protection.
Choose water resistant protection, kids love water!
Keep hydrated by always having a bottle of water handy and keeping it filled with cold fresh water.
Go for an easy to apply sun cream, kids hate having sun cream applied. FACT. Using a spray or mousse Bioderma sun cream saves so much time and tantrums. And always read the instructions; most sun creams require a settling period before you child can jump into the pool.
When applying don’t forget the easy to miss parts such as tops of feet, ears, back of neck and nose and re-apply at regular intervals.
Have a separate bag packed in your cabin with a hat, sunglasses, water bottle and sun protection spray to prevent you forgetting anything when getting off the ship on port days. There is not always shade available on excursions, planning ahead for this is vital.
And what about sun protection for parents?
Using face sun protection is key to prevent the signs of early ageing. I find using a face Bioderma factor 50 cream under my makeup gives me protection. This is also perfect for thinning hair. I always have a small bottle of face protection cream in my bag in the summer so that Chris and I can keep well protected when out and about.
Rather than spending hours tanning use a sun protection which boosts biological tanning process, but also protects the skin from the harmful rays.
Don’t forget to apply your sun cream, an obvious one but sometimes we spend so much time trying to keep our children well protected from the sun that we forget ourselves.
Win sun protection for your family
We are also so pleased to have a great prize draw for our readers. One luck reader can win 1 Bioderma Photoderm Kids factor 50 Mousse and 1 adults factor 30 Photoderm Bronz spray follow the Rafflecopter instructions below and good luck. Closing date: 23:59 on Sunday 6 May, 2018.
Terms & Conditions
- This competition is open to residents of the UK.
- All information detailing how to enter this competition forms part of these terms and conditions.
- All entries must be received by the advertised closing time date: 23:59 on Sunday 6 May, 2018.
- All prizes are non-transferable and there are no cash alternatives.
- Winners will be chosen at random through random.org and the winners will be notified as soon as possible after the draw.
- The winner will be contacted by e-mail, if they do not reply within 7 days another winner may be chosen.
- Events may occur that render the competition itself or the awarding of the prizes impossible due to reasons beyond the control of the Promoter, and accordingly the Promoter may at its absolute discretion vary or amend the promotion and the entrant agrees that no liability shall attach to the Promoter as a result thereof.
- English law applies and the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts shall prevail.
- By submitting an entry through Rafflecopter, all entrants are acknowledging and accept the terms and conditions for the giveaway
- Each winning entry will be validated, and if the instructions for entry have not been followed for that Rafflecopter entry, a new winner will be chosen.
- Each Rafflecopter entry is a single entry into the giveaway and stands alone as such. Any incorrect entries from the winner only make these entry methods invalid, not all the winners’ entries. The winning entry method from them will still be valid as long as it complies with our other terms and conditions.
- Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will be disqualified.
- The competition may be added to a number of sites for the purposes of promotion.